Friday, October 17, 2014

Baking basics: The classic tea cake



Ingredients 

60g butter (room temperature)
1/2 cup castor sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1 cup self-raising flour
1/3 cup milk
15g butter extra (melted) to brush on top
1 tablespoon castor sugar, extra
1 teaspoon cinnamon





This is a great recipe, so simple and something that I have easily put together when I have had people over. 


Always a hit, I have even brought it into work before and been asked if it was a ' Donut cake ' 





Method:

Preheat over to 180deg (fan forced) grease and line a 20cm round cake tin. Only use a round tin, as it will sink in the middle if you use a loaf tin...trust me!)


This was a little trick my Mum taught me to cut the perfect circle to line the bottom of the pan.




Cream butter, sugar, I like to use an electric beater, or mixer if you have one, works just as well with a wooden spoon and some elbow grease!



Add egg and vanilla, mix until light and creamy. 




Fold in sifted flour and milk, add this alternately until smooth.



Spread mixture into cake tin, bake for 25min or until golden
 






Allow cake to cool in the tin for 5mins before turning onto wire rack, brush with butter and sprinkle with combined sugar and cinnamon.







This cake is best served warm from the oven and with a nice cuppa!!








Enjoy!

Much love,




No comments:

Post a Comment